The Lord is our Portion

The Lord is our Portion

Thursday, March 13, 2014

learning to let things go...(still)

 
So yesterday I was totally being stretched out of my comfort zone when it was almost lunch and our breakfast dishes were still in the sink...but our little one was happy cause she had her Momma holding and playing with her. 
After coming home with Blessing #6 and prior to my hubby returning to work he was telling me that its ok to let the dishes sit in the sink and was reminding me to focus on the important. 
 Almost 20 years of being a Momma (wow-that makes me feel old) you would think by now I would know how to just let some things go -I don't!  I do like to have things in my home neat and orderly and sometimes can fall into perfectionism and control. I am better than I used to be when I first got married but I still struggle with my expectations of myself.
 
So I am keeping my expectations low...learning to give grace to myself when:
*there is a sink full of dishes
*we have had to order carry outs, got fast food or dinner was just thrown together and was not the best
*the laundry gets piled up and excepting help from my daughter 
*my husband's offer to help do some grocery shopping
*our kids help each other with their school lessons
*I can't take or drive our big kids somewhere
*I don't reply to peoples correspondence quickly
 
Adoption/Orphan care and being Momma to 6 children is the ministry that I am called to serve right now. I pray that I will be more like Mary than Martha and remember what is truly important. "But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:41-42
 
"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you" Matthew 6:33       

"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12
 
"The heart of man plans his ways, but the Lord establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:9
 
 “But he said to me, `My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me” 2 Corinthians 12:9

 “Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus” Philippians 1:6
 
  "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." 1 Peter 4:10 

 So thankful that the Lord is not done guiding and shaping me yet... "But now, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand" Isaiah 64:8 

At the end of the day I was able to savor all the sweet things I had accomplished: spent time in Gods Word and in prayer, was able to finish a cup of coffee while it was still hot, held my little ones, seen smiles on all my kids faces, got kisses, played and had a got to talk to a sweet adoptive mamma friend on the phone uninterrupted when hubby got home. I am sure at the end of my life I will not value that I always had my breakfast dishes done before lunch! 
 
By the way my sweet daughter- Blessing #2 with her servants heart surprised me and did all the breakfast and lunch dishes while I was laying the 2 little ones down for their naps! She is such a blessing to me I will miss her tremendously when she goes to college in the fall.

1 comment:

  1. "Oh, Martha, Martha..." This is a constant struggle for me too. Thankful for your sharing, your wisdom and His truth in all of this!

    ReplyDelete