The Lord is our Portion

The Lord is our Portion

Monday, March 30, 2015

sisters weekend (AKA momma get away)

20150312_142736    IMG_4715
A couple weekends ago my sister Jeanette and I escaped had a sister weekend away. We went to the Hearts at Home National Conference to learn new ideas, gain wisdom, to be refreshed and encouraged in our roles as wives & mothers, also to just have some fun time together bonding as sisters (biologically & spiritually).  I had my luggage packed and in my van Wed. evening and I left while it was still dark out early Thursday morning and drove to her house. We left her house as the sun was coming up….we were really excited to escape for our fun weekend to begin. We had decided that on our way we would spend most of day in Shipshewana- an Amish community to do some shopping and have lunch. My sis was super excited to get an Amish made pretzel – well Thursday ended up being free pretzel day! We thought it would be just a small sample size well they were huge- we each got one so she ended up with two (pretzels don’t work well with my Celiac disease). Well some how later in our adventures we lost one…
IMG_2270IMG_2269IMG_2271IMG_2275
Jeanette with her pretzel that is "as big as your head" and the welcomed pretty sunset after driving for hours through Indiana seeing only flat land, fields and wind turbines...

Later that evening we arrived at our hotel (a national chain)…umm our room was dirty and the place was a dive-kind of gave me the creeps not to mention totally smelled like smoke and mold. So we ended up driving to another facility to see if they had availability for 2 nights they said they did “yay!” so we went back to original place and kindly requested to leave and that we wanted a refund. After trying to persuade us to stay we got our money back and were on our way … less the 2nd pretzel - pretty sure Jeanette left it in the fridge in that room.
IMG_2277
(this was in the elevator of location #1...spell check??)

We go back to the new location to check in. The same front desk guy checks us in & tells us our total - we have the money for 2 nights on the counter and then he says we can only have the room for one night now….huh? Something about getting booked in the amount of time we took checking out of our other location.  So its late now like after 8 pm -I am hungry I don’t do well with this type stuff when t.i.r.e.d and h.u.n.g.r.y. So I ask my sister what are we gonna do now… to which she replies, "we are gonna pay and stay here one night". I almost start to whine (or maybe I did – I don’t know remember I was tired and hungry) We paid for the night and went to our nice clean room and ate our dinner. Jeanette's husband helped look for places we could call and after calling around we found a hotel for the next night. We then had a nice quiet uninterrupted nights sleep.
IMG_2279
We woke up well rested - me bright and early - which caused my sister to text me from her bed to go back to sleep or something like that. After our breakfast we checked out of the hotel and drove to new hotel to guarantee the room for that evening. We were then on our way to the conference. First stop there was to get some good coffee, mine-just black and hot...hers-sugary and cold.
There were over 5000 women at this 2 day conference! So many great workshops to choose from and amazing speakers including Gary Chapman, Lysa TerKeurst, Dr. Juli Slattery and so many more...I am still re-reading my notes that I took there.
20150314_131615    IMG_2290
So thankful for Lysa's encouraging main session       Jeanette met Erin Bethea (from Fireproof)
I attended my first Hearts at Home conference in Nov. 1997 - I was a young stay at home mom with our 2 & 3 year old children and at the time we thought our family was complete (medically we were told we should be done). So I had to laugh at myself that almost 20 years later and I am still attending Hearts at Home with a toddler at home! Hearts at Home will always have a special place in my heart because it was at that conference in 1997 one of the main speaker Susan Yates shared the Gospel message. Growing up I knew about God but never had I heard that Jesus died for me and for my sins, that He took them to the cross for me because He loves me. Only because of Gods grace the Holy Spirit showed me my need for a savior that day and I asked the Lord to forgive me and Jesus became Lord of my life. I am so thankful that God used Hearts at Home to eternally change our family. Also that my sweet friend Paula invited me to the conference that year.

A couple funny things you will find at the conference - one is these signs are on the back of every stall doors in all the restrooms...
IMG_2292IMG_2291IMG_2289IMG_2288IMG_2283IMG_2282
Also be cause the place is only used for women they completely take over the whole place...even the men's restrooms!
IMG_2278

No comments:

Post a Comment