The Lord is our Portion

The Lord is our Portion

Friday, February 12, 2016

To the older gentleman at the pharmacy...


You will never know how much your comment, “you have beautiful children” meant to me. That day I was out with my youngest two. We had one of our weekly therapy appointments and I had two quick errands to run after-literally purchasing maybe 10 things between the two stores. Three hours later we still were out and the pharmacy didn’t have my prescription filled. My son was having a very hard time that day and I was exhausted, dripping in sweat from frustration and ready to just curl up in a ball on the floor and cry. You see minutes before you seen us my son was having a melt down and pushing his foot on the wheel of the grocery cart telling me he wasn’t going to let us move because I would let him read the TV guide by the registers. Classic meltdown – first time he had done it this extreme in a store.  Parenting kids with trauma and loss is hard stuff. It takes people to come alongside us, encourage us, support us, pray for us, and to just be there. I thank you that you were playing peek-a-boo with my little girl, and that you stopped me to tell me she looks like your adopted daughter from China (I could see in your eyes the joy she brought you and the longing to have her little again). Thank you that you reminded me they are beautiful - even in the ugly hard times. I am sorry I didn’t stop and chat longer with you and asked more about your daughter…but I am sure you understand as you probably had been there before too.  Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body. Proverbs 16:24 Dear children, let's not merely say that we love each other; let us show the truth by our actions. 1 John 3:18
I love this post Lauren wrote about how it takes a village to help parents that have kids with special needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment